Friday, October 4, 2013

A McDonald's Breakfast at Home

Bud is mostly unfamiliar with McDonalds, but he has an uncanny love for breakfast burritos. I also enjoy breakfast burritos, but cannot and will not drive to town for burritos every morning.

Luckily, I've discovered the joy of frozen burritos in the morning. They're easy to grab in the mornings and mostly taste just as good that way as when they're fresh.

Every once in a while (when I have a stockpile of fresh eggs and peppers), I set out to make a bunch of breakfast burritos. Start by browning up some sausage.
If I don't have sausage, I substitute diced ham (it may be a little better for you anyway), which you wouldn't have to brown.


While that's cooking chop up some peppers. I usually remove the seeds because Bud doesn't like any spicy (the crazy kid doesn't even like tacos or salsa) but you can make them as hot as you want.
Once the sausage is in the drainer, scramble up some eggs.

Add the peppers and sausage to the skillet to complete your filling.
Now, all that's left is assembly. I use ultragrain tortillas (for the whole grain) then add a little filling and a bit of shredded taco cheese.
Then just roll it up making sure to close one end for easy eating later. Then I wrap them in aluminum foil.
I put multiple burritos in a freezer bag and they're ready to nuke in the mornings. Just unwrap them, place on a plate or paper towel and microwave for 1 minute, let rest for a couple minutes because you're not back to the microwave from running around the house trying to get kids ready to go to school. Then nuke for another 30 seconds or so.

Fast and easy. Just how I like it in the mornings.

1 comment:

  1. Smart! We are big breakfast eaters at my house, and the sandwiches you buy are so pricey. This is a fabulous idea -- thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog and for the congrats. :) I'm so following you from now on!

    ReplyDelete